Thursday, May 24, 2012

Winning Is Time Consuming

I swear I'm going to win the battle of the garden this year.  I told that to my neighbor when he saw me out there digging in.  He said "it takes work".  Oh, I know that.  And I don't have a problem with the work.  It's just so time consuming. Translation:   more yard work = less sewing.  All together now... AWWWWWW

Last year I think I started too late.  The weeds got a huge head start and I was chasing after them all summer.  The flowers got a late start and just couldn't compete with the weeds.

This year... WINNING! 


 Lots, lots, lots of flowers planted.  These impatiens should spread and fill this area with color.  Can't wait!

These fill a huge section all by themselves with no work from me.  I just can't figure out how to keep them blooming all summer the way they are supposed to.  I followed the gardening advice I found.  Didn't work last year.  We'll see what happens this year.

There are still weeds scattered here and there that have to be eliminated, but they are separated and can't gang up on me.
I need to find out what to do with all the green that's left over after the daffodils and other bulbs are finished blooming.  In the meantime, more impatiens.  And isn't my froggie cute?!  Thanks, Parisi family!

Next I have to tackle this honeysuckle and these bushes. 
 And clear out this area so you can actually see the flowers.
So I haven't won yet.  But I'm putting in the time and I WILL!

Next year I'll tackle the lawn.  And by that I mean the dandelions.

3 comments:

Karen said...

It's going to look wonderful! It looks good already. I was just thinking today as i was planting Impatients....that i love them cause they are so hardy and they grow really easily. Nice to see a blog post,auntie:) We've missed your cherry posts!

Jeanie said...

It all looks so beautiful!
I started off my spring clean up by breaking my rib with a shovel handle .....it's doing quite well now, but I've lost my gardining enthusiasm. That, plus this very dry weather has me "losing", but I'll at least keep things trimmed and neat. (I have been able to sew, however. I guess that's a fair exchange!)
Happy Gardening!

Pat said...

Be sure to post a picture when your impatiens fill your garden. Here is what my neighbor, a master gardener, tells me to do with the greens from my daffodils and tulips. She has me grab a handful of them and BEND them down and then put an elastic around that whole clump. It keeps them looking a bit tidier than they were before she taught me that... and then she says I can't cut them off at ground level until the green parts are all yellowed and dried up.